4/01/2017

It's time to talk about... Assail

Xcor laughed with genuine respect. "You know what they say about suicide, don't you. No Fade for them." "Its not suicide if you shoot me first. Self-defense." "And your willing to test that out?" "If you are.”
― J.R. Ward - Lover Reborn

As a fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, I accompanied many awesome characters through their development and got to know many on the way. The newest member of this very big and lovely family is a vampire called Assail, some badass bastard who is such a round character, I am willing to put him as number three on my list of BDB-characters I would marry (right behind Rehv who’s my number two and Phury – of course – being number one). This might also be because I understand the way Assail lives. It’s basically the way I would do it if I was in his situation. We’re pretty similar regarding our morals, our loyality and our image of the self.

When Assail first appeared, he wasn’t anything that I would call sympathetic. However, his rapid development changed this view as rapidly. Thanks to Marisol, the woman he fell in love with and lost just as fast, he became even darker, even more criminal, just to suddenly turn around completely and become not even loyal to the brothers and Wrath, but also a friend of Vishous’.

Still, he is far from being a perfect character, which makes him even better. There’s this similarity to Phury concerning the drug addiction, but also the acceptance of it and finally the withdrawal after his attempt to commit suicide just didn’t work out (thanks, Zsadist!).

I love how he is such an important character for the plot of the novels, regarding the Glymera, the attack of Wrath in his house and finally him working for the king as a spy. And yes, his way to get his hands dirty just makes him even more adorable as a character because it shows that he’s not the rich man who’s got his people to work. I mean, he even does the laundry himself, right?

I believe the way this man will be going will be an interesting one; it will be a hard one, but also one full of loyalty, friendship and most hopefully love. And I am sure J.R. Ward will find a way to bring back Marisol. I’m not sure what his book will be called, but I am waiting happily for it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen