9/04/2016

State Of My Head – symbolic, heavy on the drums, flowing



State of my Head orientates itself towards the rhythm. It’s the first song I ever wrote on the drum line”, says Brent Smith in an interview.
What he means with this becomes clear right away. The notes are sung melodically, but they are mainly accompanied by the drums which are dominant and catchy. This creates the feeling of being in a melodic flow which takes one away. The song stays in the head.
The war analogy which is carried by the lyrics again plays with the desire of being free and at the same time standing up for oneself. The song plays on a battlefield where the soldiers face their destiny and fight for themselves and for their brothers, no matter the damage they take. “State of my head” has a double meaning here. On one hand the war metaphor suggests that it means the country of the head, the own psyche on which war is waged or which is defended. On the other hand, it could also mean the status of the head, which probably means the mind here. That way, a certain attitude is implicated.
Important is that this song is never about an I, it is always about a We. Transferred to the band, this shows their strong solidarity which was transformed into a catchy song.

Favorite line: “I'm not speaking under my breath ‘cause the harder you push the rougher I get.”
Listen to Shinedown's State of My Head here:


Buy Threat To Survival here.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen