5/28/2020

How LOST healed me

An open letter to everyone involved with this show


It is no secret that the TV show LOST means a lot to me. In fact, it healed me.

Before I started watching the show, I was a very melancholic, dramatically emotional girl. I was extremely lonely. Not because there were no people around me who loved me, but because I was lonely from within. 

I only started the show because my father was annoying about how good it was. So, eventually, I started it just so I could tell him to shut up about it. Joke’s on me because now I CANNOT shut up about how amazing it is. 

As soon as I’d seen “Pilot”, things changed forever. I had this strange feeling that this would be something about to touch me deep within my loneliness. I kept watching and watching and watching. I fell in love. I forgot about my pain and my loneliness. Just like John Locke and Rose, the island healed me. It stopped me from overthinking. 

LOST got me through my loneliest nights and my darkest days. And even today, whenever I feel like the world is overwhelming me, when bad things happen and I start to feel sad, desperate, even depressed – I go back to watching LOST. 

This show changed my life. It made me re-adjust my way of seeing the world. It made me question concepts of black and white, good and bad. It twisted and turned my emotions, it made me laugh and cry, but most importantly: It made me feel. Everything. Every single emotion there is.

When I went to the island, my mom’s depression, my family’s problems, my hurt feelings and my lonely heart were gone, only memories from another life. And I could gather the strength to go back to it and face my struggles when I came back. 

I’m at a very different point in life now. Things are better. I am better. Other sources of support and self-confidence entered my life (and I am forever grateful for Shinedown & their crew and what they did for me). 

But LOST is always there when I need an escape from my reality. And it’s time to honor this.

So now, I will be getting a LOST tattoo leg sleeve. And if any of the cast reads this, maybe, just maybe, you can do one more thing for me and write down a quote from the show on a piece of paper and send me a picture of it. Because getting your handwriting tattooed would mean very very much to me.

I’ll write some of my dream handwriting quotes down here. Just in case. But even if you don’t wanna do it: I am forever grateful that you brought this show and these characters to life. I couldn’t imagine a better cast. Ever. You are wonderful, and I love you, and I owe you.

Josh Holloway: “tiger don’t change their stripes”
Matthew Fox: “Live Together, Die Alone”
Henry Ian Cusick: “See you in another life”
Terry O’Quinn: “Don’t tell me what I can’t do” (already sent it – thank you so so much!)
Evangeline Lilly: “We have to go back”
Jorge Garcia: 4-8-15-16-23-42

And for all the others: Any symbol or quote from the show is amazing. If you would draw or write down anything and send it to me, I’d be the happiest girl on earth. 

You are all amazing. 

And remember: We have to go back.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen