5/25/2019

Living the Dream – Shinedown Roadtrip USA

photo: Sanjay Parikh
I came home this week, still trying to process all that has happened during the past three weeks. I was looking forward to my trip to the US, sure, but I never expected any of these things that eventually happened. When Stef and I went on our first Shinedown Roadtrip in November ’18 I thought it couldn’t get any better. Turned out I was wrong.
I went to eight shows across the South in the US; it was my first time ever traveling outside of Europe. Dana joined me for this adventure, planning our stays and our routes and everything I couldn’t do because I was so occupied with my bachelor thesis before I flew over. (Thank you so much, again, for doing all of this for me, Dana.)
Everything was perfect.

 
Show 1/8: Memphis, Tennessee

We started in Atlanta because it was cheap and easy for me to fly there. Dana picked me up on May 1st and we drove to Memphis where we would attend the first of eight shows for me. Memphis was amazing. I loved exploring Beale Street and finding all the small hints to Zach Myers’ beginnings there. I loved having dinner at Sushi Jimmy because Matt Healy recommended it to us – and it was literally the best sushi I ever had. And I loved seeing everyone again.
Beale Street Music Festival was the first show. A festival is never as personal, but it was very different compared to Europe. Shinedown were headlining – that’s something you never experience over here. And the show was the perfect warm up. Seeing Matt and Sanjay was wonderful. And the show brought me back to my happy me which I had been looking for for several months.


Show 2/8: New Orleans, Louisiana

We drove on to New Orleans for the first real headline show. NOLA as a city had me from the first moment. It’s simply special and worth seeing. The vegetation was fascinating, the city was full of life and the food was interesting (we had alligator e.g.).
The first show – first real show – warmed my heart from deep within. Seeing the band again, speaking to them after half a year was necessary and beautiful. I felt so very welcome when they came to greet me (especially Barry and Eric who would come and say hi before even starting with the Meet & Greet). And the show was incredibly special: I heard so many songs I never heard live before (e.g. I Dare You) and they played for two hours straight.
The crew was just as welcoming. Especially Hoogie and Sparky took good care of me (besides Matt and Sanjay of course). 


Show 3/8: Atlanta, Georgia I

We drove back to Atlanta the next day, heading straight to the venue for the next show. This one was very special for me because I got to shoot the show with Sanjay. It was something I have been dreaming of for quite some time, as a person and as a photographer. And that dream came true. Sanjay showed me many things, helping me to get great shots. He’s one of the kindest and most wonderful people I know and deserves all the good in this world.
Shooting the show was amazing. I’d do it again every time.


Show 4/8: Atlanta, Georgia II

And they let me shoot the second show, too. This night was even more special, even though everybody seemed pretty stressed out that day. It wasn’t about me at all, but it somehow got to me and I suffered from a major emotional breakdown that night, without any specific or visible reason. But I wanted to be professional and just take some great pictures, and I think I succeeded. That night was mostly acoustic and that was just beautiful. Hearing Burning Bright and Lost in the Crowd live was incredible. And Eric, Barry and Brent made eye contact with me and my camera so I could get some amazing pictures. So yeah, the night was pretty perfect and that emotional low was weird, but it eventually passed when I went to sleep.



Show 5/8: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina I

For me, the Myrtle Beach shows were the best ones on this run. That was mainly because of all the love that’s been shared and the beautiful atmosphere. During the first night Meet & Greet I met Elizabeth Blake and her father Andy. It was her first time meeting the band and I can’t really explain why – maybe because she reminded me of myself – but I really wanted this night to be extraordinary special for this girl and her dad. I gave her my spare ticket for the second night and she was so extremely grateful and happy, just thinking about it makes me smile again.
The band also realized that these people were special and they made their Meet & Greet even better, giving her drumsticks and picks and showing them how much they appreciate them. Dana and I could keep a spot for Elizabeth in the front row and when Shinedown played “Monsters”, Brent made eye contact with her throughout the whole last chorus. It was beautiful. And I am so grateful that I met these people because they brightened my night and my life with their presence, gratitude and love for each other.


Show 6/8: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina II

The second night in Myrtle Beach was even better because the set was different. Luckily, Elizabeth’s dad could get a ticket, too, so both of them were able to join us during this show. I want to give a shout out to Joshua from the House of Blues crew at this point who was taking care of us all the time and who was the nicest person these two days (willing to take care of the girl in case her dad couldn’t make it to the show).
The set was mostly acoustic again, including “In Memory” which meant a lot to me. They also played “Shed Some Light” and got Steve up on stage to play bass with them, which was very unique. I had also brought a sign which said “You bring people together” that Elizabeth and I held up during “How Did You Love” (which led to Brent messing up the lyrics – sorry again). This night was magical, full of love. It reminded me of how grateful I am for this life and these people and for the fact that I could make a 16-year-old girl happy and be with her while she had the time of her life. Thank you so much, to everyone involved, for helping me to get to this point, for making all of this possible.


Show 7/8: Nashville, Tennessee I

The first Nashville show was weird for me. The Ryman, the venue they played, is pretty special and I know how much it meant to the band that they could play this historical place. Maybe I was in a weird mood. Maybe it was because I think a seated rockshow is weird. I’m not sure, but this felt strange and I cried through most of the songs. But the love was still real and especially the crew was fantastic that night. They knew how to lighten up the mood and make me feel better. And seeing the band so extremely happy and blessed was worth it all.



Show 8/8: Nashville, Tennessee II

This was my last show and it couldn’t have been any better. During Meet & Greet, the band was extremely lovely. Especially Eric and Brent made me feel so appreciated and welcome. We watched the show from a very special spot that night (thank you again, Hoogie) and I was the happiest girl on earth throughout the two and a half hours they played. 

I wouldn’t want to miss any of this; not Brent asking me to dance with him in Meet & Greet or screaming in my ear mid-show (I’ll miss you, too and yes, now I’m a little sad); not Zach waving me goodbye and running back to give me a hug because I would fly back home; not Barry making sure I had a good time and including us in the talk with his friends; not Eric sending a video to Stef and showing me some interesting things on his phone before he even showered after the show; not Matt taking care of me all the time and being the best person as always; not Sanjay giving me so much love and teaching me all these things; not John making sure I’m alright and safe and being funny and wird and letting me be around; not Sparky saying sorry to me whenever I see him; not Hoogie explaining all the names of Eric’s bass guitars to me and being the kindest person on earth; not the rest of the crew letting me be there and accepting me the way I am; not Dana being the best and funniest travel partner and friend; not Helena welcoming me in her home and being my friend without even knowing me before.

This Shinedown Roadtrip gave me so much more than I could ever wish for. I am grateful. So grateful. And I love these people so very much. Thank you, for everything, always.
Till next time.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen